Monday, June 3, 2013

TWO- Fireplace Revamp

Our fireplace has been in desperate need of a facelift. This is what it has looked like since J bought our house a few years ago. 

This lovely flame bearing beauty has attended every small group meeting in our house. Surprisingly no one said anything about her attire.


The first step in this project involved some grit. And by grit I mean a whole house full. 

Tip: Always make sure your Shop-Vac filter is properly attached before vacuuming out fine dust into your house. Someone (ah-hem) may have not done this. Thankfully I realized it only minutes into vacuuming.


If you have an old house like me the next step is crucial. To clean old bricks you must very careful. Harsh chemicals can break down the fragile comments of the bricks causing them to crumble apart. The mortar between these bricks may be sensitive as well. I suggest a soft bristled brush and some highly diluted soap & water. After your first sweep over them go back once more with a clean batch of water to remove any excess soap that may still be on them. Here's mine post clean. Still not perfect but what is after 90 years?


Under all the grime I discovered that the bricks used to construct our chimney were produced in Warrior, Alabama. 


The red tile missing from the front is another project for another day but for now I cleverly disguise it with the cast iron grate that was there before.


I give the cast iron casing a good wipe down. It is filled with French fleur-de-lis patterns.



A few old books that I had laying around from our wedding placed with their pages facing outwards help give the height I need for a few antique plates and pillar candles also left over from our nuptials.



I love the mix of old graphic patterns with a slight touch of metallic.


And, there you go! Ready for us to enjoy on quiet evenings! 


Enjoy & blessings!

Sarah

No comments: