Friday, June 14, 2013

THREE- Thrift Store Candleholder

I'm always searching local thrift stores for items with good bones in desperate need of an update. Just because something has had a rough past doesn't mean that it can't have a new beginning. Have you heard of Jesus?!?

One of my recent finds was a candleholder found at Salvation Army for $2.99. Outdated and a bit battered but full of potential.


First step was to remove those darling little legs. While they could have stayed, I was going for a cleaner look on this piece.


I did however save them for a future whim of inspiration.


There were a few spots on this piece that needed patching. Probably from being tossed into a donation bin or some other wild adventure.


Nothing that a tube of wood filer couldn't fix. I used Minwax's Stainable Wood Filler so I wouldn't have to worry about priming.


Follow directions on the tube and be sure to mound the filler a bit higher than the areas you are filling. You will sand the excess down later.

 


Let dry for 24 hours and then sand smooth going with the grain of the wood. 


You always want to give anything you are going to spray paint a quick once-over with fine grain sand paper. It gives the paint something to adhere to and gets rid of any stray particles on the objects surface.


I love the brass votive holders on this piece so I gently pried them up a bit with a thin flathead screwdriver.


Tape them off with painter's tape and you're ready to head outside to paint!


I choose Krylon's Catalina Mist. Probably one of my favorite colors because it reminds me of the beach and the soft seaside decor of Florida's beach homes. Be sure you are in a well ventilated area and that it's not too humid outside. Rainy days are not good for spray painting. It results in tacky paint and rough layers. Choose a dry, sunny day.


Be sure to let each coat of paint dry completely before the next. Have drips? Gently sand them down between coats.


Remove the tape when done and find the perfect spot to put your new creation!


I choose our front porch. It's perfect for our southern summer nights spent watching our neighborhood buzz with kids and passerby.



And there you go! Project THREE complete! 

What are you creating?!?! Join the fun on Instagram with #ONproject13!

Blessings, Sarah

No comments: